Thursday, October 25, 2012

David vs Goliath aka Monsanto vs Consumer Rights

If you have been reading my blog for long you know I am totally against the use of GMO in our food products. I also have little warmth for DuPont and Monsanto and their business practices. You can read  my posts on my views here and here. I am still wondering why two of the largest chemical companies in the world want to be in agriculture? Yes, this a rhetorical question.


In less then fourteen days the residences of California have to make a decision whether to make it a law to have grocers label any GMO products that enter into our state. This Proposition is called Prop 37. 

Now, as many of you know I am an advocate for Special Education and disabled students and I am also an advocate for healthy and safe foods for our children. I also believe that women and children's health is a bipartisan and universal concern. 
What I am not an advocate of are lascivious litigants who purposely use laws to sue people as a source of income. 

You can imagine my quandary regarding Proposition 37.

Proposition 37 was written by the same trial attorney, Jim Wheaton, who wrote Proposition 65 in 1986.  Proposition 65 is the initiative that has become the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. The little signs you see posted from McDonalds to gas stations are part of this 1986 law. According to the California Attorney General Annual Summaries of Private Settlements, which is on line for public viewing, Jim Wheaton and his law firm have made over $3 million dollars in lawsuits regarding Prop 65. 

When I heard the advertisements on the radio against Proposition 37 the possible law suits it could create is heavily emphasized  However, if you listen further and listen to the list of companies that are sponsoring this "No on Prop 37" you will find out that Monsanto, DuPont and the major grocery chains are fully behind the campaign. This was my first red flag. Ahaha! Good ol' Monsanto and DuPont.

Here are the two sides.

Yes, on Proposition 37 Check out there website.




There is current research indicating that GMO plants are the cause of hive collapse in Europe. Round Up is banded in at least three European countries.

To be fair. Here is No on Proposition 37
Food Labeling, A Right to Sue? Here is another anti Proposition 37 article.




Either way you decide to vote. Being an informed consumer is important. There is labeling already on many of the foods we eat. Be A Stickler.... I drive family members bonkers because I read labels while shopping in conventional grocery stores.


I am still waiting for the biodynamic labeling. 

My advice. When examining a Proposition look who is backing the various advertisements but also look at who wrote the Proposition. DuPont, Monsanto and major grocery chains are spending a Goliath amount of money to defeat this proposition. The backers of Yes, on Prop 37 are the Davids who have to have faith that people are ready to informed and will vote Yes. 


Personally, I would like to see Monsanto slide off the Stock Exchange into oblivion.


No comments:

Post a Comment