Thursday, May 1, 2014

21st Century Technology and Mother Nature

Sometimes Mother Nature, Njord,  Norðri, Suðri, Austri and Vestri  conspire together against mankind and their desires to keep to a schedule. Today, while visiting one of my Students I had a bit of shock. 



In Southern California we have what are called the Santa Ana Winds. Winds can reach up to 100 mph and they are dry and hot winds. Nothing like what can come off the fjords.  But, like the winds that blow through the fjords or off the Arctic Circle; the Santa Ana winds can blow down trees. 

Those little lines on the street are not shadows. This particular tree brought down power, cable and telephone lines. 

And guess on whose car?


Ja! on Viking Mom's car!


Completely missed the other car and landed on Viking Mom's car. 


I am thankful in many ways that this goofy and nerve racking moment didn't turn out to be a horrible tragedy. Earlier that morning these outstanding fire fighters were on the other side of town battling a fire caused by the high winds. They still came to help us out with a smile. 
They also graciously checked on my medically fragile student to make sure he was okay, since the power went out. My student's back up systems switched over and he's fine. 
As it turned out the majority of the wires were phone and cable. They graciously checked my car and made sure that it wouldn't explode. I think tonight I am going to dream of Iceland. 





 Bless Bless


No comments:

Post a Comment