I discovered that we had our own right in our humble homestead. My husband WOW'd me several years ago with his baked ham. It is made with fresh pineapple, the juice, a touch of mustard and real whole cloves. My Grandmother informed me that day that if I didn't marry him, she would. It was that good.
Let me share with you Viking Dad's Viking Paleo Easter Ham
- 1 whole fresh pineapple. Cored and sliced into rings. Save 1/2 cup of juice.
- 1 Tbs dry mustard
- 1 4.5 lb butt end ham ( or ham cut of choice)
- 1/4 cup whole cloves
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 F degree.
2. Cut pineapple into rings. Save 1/2 cup of juice. This juice will become the glaze that will baste the ham.
3. Whisk pineapple juice and dry mustard in a bowl until mixed thoroughly.
4. Place ham in a roasting pan with cut side down and arrange pineapple rings onto ham; secure with cloves. Baste ham and fruit with pineapple juice.
5. Bake in the pre-heated oven until "glaze" from the juice has baked into the ham, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Baste every 30 minutes. (If using a different size ham or cut follow the recommended cooking time instructions).
6. Turn on the oven's broiler and brown the glaze for 5 minutes.
Please enjoy the instruction video on how to core and slice a real pineapple.