Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Random Act of Kindness Tuesday-Saying Thank You

Why do we say “Thank you?” I started to reflect on this simple phrase this morning after my Beloved Viking Husband brought me a fresh cup of coffee. I know he brings me a cup of coffee in the morning because he loves me but I think it is also self preservations. There is often too much blood in the caffeine system in the morning. I do so appreciate the coffee in the morning. “Thank you, Honey.”

What does “Thank you” mean? One definition I found says, “Thank you is defined as a conversational form of expressing gratitude.” Is that what it really boils down to?

Here is what Dictionary.com says,

Origin: 1785–95 for def. 2; noun and adj. use of verb phrase thank

Thank [thangk] verb (used with object)

1.to express gratitude, appreciation, or acknowledgment to:She thanked them for their hospitality.

2.thank God, (used interjectionally to express relief, thankfulness, etc.) Also, thank goodness, thank heaven.

noun

3.Usually, thanks. a grateful feeling or acknowledgment of abenefit, favor, or the like, expressed by words or otherwise: to return a borrowed book with thanks.

interjection

4.thanks, (used as an informal expression of gratitude, appreciation, or acknowledgment).

5. have oneself to thank, to be personally to blame; havethe responsibility: The citizens have only themselves to thankfor corruption in government.

6.thanks to, because of; owing to: Thanks to good organization and hard work, the benefit concert was a great success.

7.thank you, (used interjectionally to express gratitude, appreciation, or acknowledgment, as for a gift, favor, service, or courtesy).

Origin:
before 900; (noun) Middle English: favorable thought, goodwill,gratitude, (in singular and plural) expression of thanks; OldEnglish
thanc (in singular) expression of thanks, ori. thought,thoughtfulness; (v.) Middle English thanken, Old English thancian (cognate with Dutch, German danken ); akin to think1

How often do we hear this phrase from our friends, spouses, out in public, or even from our children? Some say it is water down phrase and that the phrase holds no meaning so they don’t bother to say it to anyone. I don’t believe that is true. I believe we don’t say it enough in public or amongst ourselves.

I am a strong believer that if we want our children to be polite citizens in our chaotic society that we need to model the same behavior.

So, here is my Tuesday Random Act of Kindness Challenge:

“Say Thank You” to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment