In our CSA boxes we receive a lot of apples and butternut squash so I decided to attempt my own version of this soup but with a paleo twist.
Let me know how it tastes for you.
Roasted Paleo Butternut Squash and Apple Soup.
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium size Fuji apples ( I think that is what they were. They were are the sweet variety.)
- 1/2 a yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 Tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- 3 cups marrow broth ( You can use either chicken of vegetable broth.)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, combine the butternut squash, olive oil, and garlic. Mix together, coating the squash well. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Next, in the same bowl that the butternut squash was in, toss the apple slices, onions and carrots to coat with the remnants. Place on a second rimmed baking sheet and add both baking sheets to the oven. Roast for 35-40 minutes until soft, stirring once.
3. Melt butter over medium heat in a large sauce pan on the stove. Add the roasted ingredients and then the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
4. Using an immersion blender, combine the ingredients until smooth. You can use a blender and puree.
Eat well, be healthy.