Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Winter Projects

I learned to crochet a couple of months ago. I warned my WISC instructor that this was a bag of worms that should stay tightly shut. I am fiber-holic. Any excuse to play with fiber and I am there. One of the blessings of the Waldorf schools and related communities is the incorporation of "handwork" in the curriculum. As the public schools continue to lose funding for the arts, play, physical education, music et al, the Waldorf schools continue to emphasize handwork, art and music. I am so in love! What a gift to be able to merge two of my passions: Fiber arts and education.
At the Summer Past Farms Antique and Craft Fair in December I met a woman who had the same love for fibers as I did. She was selling the most adorable children hats. I was inspired to make hats for family members for Christmas. Last count: 4 Elmos, 3 Abby Cadaby, 3 Cookie Monsters, 2 Oscar the Grouches and 3 Fairy Flower hats.
I found a Mommy Blog called Girl in Air. The Mommy in this blog is a stay at home Mom who used to be an airline stewardess. I am sure she has some wonderful stories to share. She is a crafter up my alley.
She created these Sesame Street hats for children and family. Elmo, Cookie Monster and Abby Cadaby were created from her patterns. Oscar the Grouch isn't featured, sorry. He went to my Dad.

The Abby Cadaby hat is my design based on the Girl in the Air patterns. Her site is here.


A peek at Wild Rose and Friends. They were debuted at Summer Past Farms Antique and Craft Fair in December.
This was my other winter project. Making Waldorf inspired fairy and wee folks. They were positively received and many went home to new families. More to follow.......



No comments:

Post a Comment